Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 1995 13:29:05 -0600
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        hasty@netcom.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, pst@cisco.com, tinguely@plains.nodak.edu
Subject:   Re: GUS sound driver with vat support

> From: hasty@netcom.com
>
> Well, there are two ways of looking at this to come up with a better
> vat driver or to get rid of  vat:)
>
> Given Van Jacobson reluctance to release the source, I think that
> is going to be easier to develop a sound tool which does not
> require the vat driver. Nevot I think is a good start and additioanlly
> we may be able to extend the sound functionality of nevot to use
> NAS.

Nevot will have the same problems that vat has.  I tried to address these
sound card problems in a second generation of the vat driver, but it
didn't work.  Fixing sound card timing problems is the kernel is not
a good idea anyways.

What the basic problem is -- is that PC soundcards don't run at the same
frequency.  The same sound card in a variety of machines under different
load will produce different input/output freqs.  Vat/Nevot/<name your program>
will have problems communicating unless they all agree on a standard frequency,
encoding, stereo/mono, # bits, etc...  Each person in the conference must
adhere to these standards otherwise things will sound funny or not work at all.

I suspect that Van hasn't released this code because he is waiting for
the RTP-V2 spec to be finished but who knows.

	-Jim