Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 02:00:01 -0700
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <rshea@thecubagroup.com>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD/Samba - Print -> LOCKUP !

<snip>

> Hi - I'm running samba-2.0.10 on FreeBSD 4.4R. Through Samba
> Windows clients
> can print to a LaserJet 2100.
>
> Here's the thing - when the LaserJet has a problem (say, runs out
> of paper) the
> FreeBSD box is locked solid - literally won't accept a keystroke on the
> console. As soon as the printer is happy again (paper replaced, say) the
> console comes back to life.
>
> Even if the printer doesn't have a problem for a brief moment on
> each page the
> screen response seems to be very slow (it may in fact be frozen
> but for a very
> short period, hard to tell)
>
> Has anyone experienced this themselves ? Does anyone have any
> ideas what I
> should do to fix it ?

Please keep in mind that I am not an expert on this issue, but I have used
the parrallel port for some wierd things. Also, I dont know how the
port is configured on your box. `dmesg | grep ppc" would show the info
that you need.

How is the parrallel port configured? If its on the mainboard you should
be able to change the settings in the bios. Some bios's will use an older
method of communication. For example, in a bios that I have access to, the
standard mode is "Standard". I have no way of controlling DMA or much of
anything. For best Communication I set it to use "ECP/EPP" and then get
the usefull options. Set the EPP mode to EPP1.9 and the DMA defaults to 3.

I dont know if this will fix your problems, but make sure that you are
using the newer mode of parallel communication.

> The printcap entry looks like :
>
> lp|lj|Laserjet 2100 printer:\
> 	:lp=/dev/lpt0:mx#0\
> 	:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
> 	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
> 	:ff=\033E\033&k2G\033&l0O\033(8U:fo:sh:tr=\033E:
>
> Any ideas ?

I dont know much about printcap, but there is a document that should
describe how to use it at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/printing.html

> thanks
>
> richard shea

No problem. I hope this info helps you out. Also, if this doesnt fix
the issues with your printer, paste any parallel port entries of
dmesg into this email.