Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2012 22:18:04 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eirik_=D8verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Practical limit to number of jails on a given host?

On Feb 6, 2012, at 21:29, Doug Barton wrote:

> Howdy,
>=20
> Thinking about implementing a poor-man's virtualization solution with
> lots'o'jails, and wondering what people think about the practical =
limits
> of such a system. I realize that part of the answer is going to depend
> on CPU and RAM, so let's assume for the sake of argument that the =
answer
> to that bit is, "Lots of both."

Worry more about disk I/O.=20
ZFS with fast spindles in raid-Z combined with SSD L2ARC and ZIL got me =
much, much further than only spindles, but in the end I caved and did =
SSD across the board on the most busy jail hosts. They have anywhere =
between 40 and 70 jails running, many of them very busy, all of them =
different. The process count seen from the host is in the low four =
digits.

> So first question is, is there some sort of hard-coded limit =
somewhere?
> If not, what is the largest number of jails that you've created
> successfully/reliably on a system, and what are the specs for that =
system?

I've - for the sake of testing - had about 350 jails on one system, each =
with a mysql, a java/tomcat, and an nginx. They all worked and responded =
fine to queries. I have no reason to think it would be a problem to add =
more.

The system in question was a 12-core (2 CPU), 48GB system.

> On a related note, what are the limits in terms of mount points on the
> system and/or jails? I'm thinking of a fairly typical "nullfs mount =
the
> system, devfs, and 2 or 3 NFS mount points" per jail type of =
situation.

I have no idea about NFS in such a setting; I use nullfs (ro) for all =
the system stuff (6 per jail iirc), and use zfs datasets for /, /tmp, =
/var, /etc and /usr/local inside the jails. Devfs of course. I implement =
filesystem quotas and the likes using zfs, along with compression for =
datasets that generally benefit from that.

Make sure you allow for enough open files. Also make sure any postgreses =
you allow are on different UIDs (unless 9.x has a new way of "fixing" =
that sysv limitation). If you use ZFS, it might be an idea to limit the =
ARC size (loader.conf) to avoid ZFS gobbling up all the free memory =
after booting but before processes in the jails have ballooned).

And make sure you have plenty of swap. You don't want to swap, but if =
things get hot it's better to have a slowdown from swapping than having =
random processes being killed off ;)

> And finally, has anyone run into trouble with a large number of IP
> addresses for the jails? ISTR that way back when, the IP addresses
> associated with a particular interface were stored in a linked list, =
so
> as you added more you would start seeing O(N) slowdown on a lot of
> network stuff in the kernel.

I remember DES complained about his 1-something ghz athlon getting slow =
with 1500 jails due to this. That was back around ..5-BETA? I remember =
laughing long and hard at the insanity of 1500 jails on one box, and =
even more at him being surprised that "something" would barf .. But I am =
pretty sure it was fixed soon after.