Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2006 04:37:59 -0800
From:      Pete Slagle <freebsd-questions@voidcaptain.com>
To:        freebsd@orchid.homeunix.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3c905B-COMBO and 10base2/BNC

Karol Kwiatkowski wrote:

> anyone got 3Com 3c905B-COMBO network card (Fast EtherLink XL PCI)
> working with 10base2/BNC?
>
> I just bought one and I can't figure it out. It has BNC connector and
> should be supported according to man xl page.

You did use T-connectors with 50 ohm terminators at both ends of the
coax, right?  (Just checking the obvious.)

IIRC. you can use the 3Com setup/diagnostic program for the card to
force it to use a particular media selection and store that setting in
non-volatile memory on the card. Not certain about this, it's been a
while . . .

You can also boot the 3Com diagnostic diskette (it runs MS-DOS) to do a
loopback test of a pair of cards. Since that eliminates FreeBSD from the
test, it should give you a better idea whether your problem is with the
hardware or the xl driver.