Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 2020 15:09:27 +0000
From:      Rene Ladan <rene@freebsd.org>
To:        "Danilo G. Baio" <dbaio@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Hans Drexler <drexler@gate.klaan.nl>, freebsd-translators@freebsd.org, remko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: introduction of new subscriber Hans Drexler

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 10:51:40PM -0300, Danilo G. Baio wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 04:36:28PM +0100, Hans Drexler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My name is Hans Drexler. I joined the translators list today.
> > I live in the Netherlands and I have used every FreeBSD version since version 2.1.
> > My knowledge of BSD is broad, but shallow. Still, I would like to contribute a tiny bit
> > by translating documentation into my native language, Dutch.
> > I don't know if a Dutch language team exists. If not, maybe we can start one.
> >
> > If I can be of any help, please let me know.
> >
> > kind regards,
> >
> > Hans Drexler
>

> Hi Hans.

Goedemiddag Hans en Danilo,

(rest in English)

> Welcome and thanks for your interest.
>
> CCing remko@ and rene@, maintainers for Dutch translations.
>
> FreeBSD has a Dutch translation team [1], there are some documents
> translated and they need to be updated, maybe not all of them, at least
> the Handbook, last commit was three years ago.

The Dutch translations have been there somewhat intermittently in the past
but haven't seen any proper attention in the last few years. As Remko
resigned from FreeBSD last year (see [3]), it seems you are stuck with me
for now. We have more Dutch committers but none of them have a documentation
commit bit.

> Current documents [2]:
>   articles/
>     - contributing
>     - explaining-bsd (nl_NL.po)
>     - leap-seconds  (nl_NL.po)
>     - problem-reports
>     - solid-state (nl_NL.po)
>   books/
>     - fdp-primer  (nl_NL.po)
>     - handbook    (nl_NL.po)
>
> The good news is that some documents have PO Gettext files, so you can
> upload the current translations to Weblate, then update them.

I actually have to exercise this myself. I started out years ago translating
SGML documents by hand, then XML documents, and finally offline PO documents
(using poedit if I remember correctly).

> I created the nl_NL team on Weblate and added your username to it.
>
> I would suggest you to start with small documents, like bsdl-gpl,
> building-products, cups or filtering-bridge and of course, talk with
> remko@ and rene@ to coordinate efforts.

Yes, feel free to mail/chat. A lot of us are on #bsddocs on EFnet.

> In the next days I'll enable a jenkins job to build the Weblate
> translations for nl_NL.
>
> Regards.
>
> 1 - https://www.freebsd.org/docproj/translations.html#dutch
>     https://www.freebsd.org/doc/nl/