Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:18:09 -0400
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        murban@webzone.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD for Web server?

Mike Urban wrote:

> I'm very new to FreeBSD (I got it because I am setting up a web server),
> but I have some experience with Linux. I have heard that FreeBSD is a
> better platform for running a web server then Linux. This is why I got
> it. Honestly, is this true? I am more familliar with Linux so I would
> set the web server up under it. I know Linux would have no problem
> handling it at first, but I want to allow for future growth without
> having to change OS's later.
>
> I have nothing against FreeBSD. I am just familliar with Linux and not
> FreeBSD. Do you think there would be a real benifit in learning FreeBSD?
> Or should I just go with what I know? Is it true that FreeBSD will be a
> lot better for running the web server?

I set-up an Apache server on FreeBSD at school and it was no harder than
the same on Linux. I'd even say it was easier, but I'm biased 'cause I
love FreeBSD.

My roomate and I put *nix on our personal machines the same day, he used
Red Hat and I did FreeBSD. One year later we're both running FreeBSD. :)

Brandon
--
bfoz@glue.umd.edu
"Lead, follow, or get run over"