Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 14:49:00 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Subject:   linker_search_path()

Hi,

The digi driver that I re-wrote recently uses linker_load_file() to
grab some throwaway data from another purpose-built digi_* module.

At the moment, I use an almost-hard-coded filename of

  snprintf(modfile, MAXPATHLEN, "/boot/kernel/digi_%s.ko", sc->module);

which isn't really very bright.

Can anyone tell me what the plans are for linker_search_path() in
kern/kern_linker.c ?  There's a comment (written by peter):

    /*
     * There will be a system to look up or guess a file name from
     * a module name.
     * For now we just try to load a file with the same name.
     */
    pathname = linker_search_path(modname);

I wouldn't mind implementing that ``system'' or even making
linker_search_path() non-static so that I can use it from
dev/digi/digi.c.

Comments ?

Cheers.
--