Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:22:59 -0700
From:      freebsd@johnea.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.1 and gmirror with GPT?

On 10/21/2012 07:32 AM, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2012, Lucas B. Cohen wrote:
>
>> On 2012.10.20 20:17, freebsd@johnea.net wrote:
>>> Just wondering if 9.1 will bring any improvement to the situation of creating a full disk geom mirror while also using GPT partition table?
>>
>> I'm curious about what this is about. Could you refer me to an article
>> or a discussion where this issue is described ?
>
> The GPT backup partition tables goes at the end of a disk, the same
> place gmirror(8) and other GEOM modules keep metadata.  If GPT
> partitions are created inside a mirror, the backup GPT table is no
> longer at the end of the disk.  Hiroki Sato created a patch which fixed
> the gptboot complaints, but there was concern about the nonstandard
> location of the backup table.
>
> At present, MBR partitioning is recommended with gmirror(8).

Warren,

I've been reading your article on formatting disks in FreeBSD:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

It's a great description of using gpart to create GPT partitions, and using fdisk and bsdlabel to create MBR partitions.

Would you still recommend this method, using fdisk and bsdlabel, for MRB setup?

Do you have any docs on setting up MBR using gpart, to allign for 4K sector size drives?

Thank you for your advice!

johnea