Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 21:59:19 -0500
From:      Dan Rench <drench@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linksys WMP11 not working in any mode

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 02:49:24PM -0500, I wrote:
> I installed a WMP11 card in my desktop machine hoping to use
> it as a base station, but at least under FreeBSD-STABLE (as of Aug 10),
> I've been unable to get my OS X Powerbook to "see" it in either hostap
> or ad-hoc modes.

After another cvsup/make world on Sept 2, I can now get it working
in ad-hoc mode, though the cvsup may not have been the reason.

I set up both the OS X and FreeBSD boxes to ad-hoc mode. Pings
from either machine resulted in a 'host down'. So I decided to try
a tcpdump on the wi0 device, and suddenly the pings started working.
Kill tcpdump, and the traffic stopped. So it seems to need to be in
promiscuous mode in order to pass traffic.

Hostap mode still does not work (at least the Mac does not see it as
a base station).

I know people are using the WMP11 card as a base station under FreeBSD.
If you're one of them, I'd like to know what firmware version your card has.

Here's my 'dmesg | grep ^wi0' again:

wi0: <Intersil Prism2.5> mem 0xf6aff000-0xf6afffff irq 9 at device 8.0 on pci1
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:06:25:09:59:d1
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 1.01.00, Station 1.04.02