Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:24:49 -0400
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Alexander Sanda <entropy@compufit.at>, wwoods@cybcon.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8

I just did another test of performance using TenDRA, comparing it to
FreeBSD's "cc".

Basically, the performance of the overall package was the same.

There are some performance differences, depending upon what sort of
operations are being done.

For example, switch statement dispatching seems to be *much* slower with
TenDRA (this includes things like Duff's device).

Certain other operations (like string length scanning) are faster, and
*maybe* byte moving is slower.

I can't tell exactly where different other operations might be faster or
slower, since the benchmark I used is pretty coarse-grained.

If I can find a TenDRA function profiler, I might be able to learn more.

And I suspect it was good for me to get this code base compiling under
TenDRA without TenDRA complaining...