Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:32:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Ryan Sommers" <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
To:        "vijay singh" <vijju_s@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jump from kernel to loader

vijay singh said:
> hello, i have some exposure to the freebsd code, but not extensive. i am
> reading the sys/boot code, and saw that the 3 stage boot process involves
> jump from the loader to the kernel in the last phase. i was wondering if
> it
> is possible to engineer the kernel to jump back to the loader in some
> special cases?
>
> kindly cc me as i am not on the list.
>
> br
> vijay

It is my understanding that after jumping to the kernel the kernel assumes
control of all of memory, including where the loader is currently loaded.
In that case it would be impossible to jump back to the loader without
first being sure to reload it into memory.

I could be wrong on this however.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans@gamersimpact.com