Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 09:49:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Gilles Tschopp <gilles.tschopp@aletsch.esis.vsnet.ch>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to use Syquest EZ-135 as backup drive ?

On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Gilles Tschopp wrote:

> The EZ-135 is affected ad "sd1a" device. My goal is to make a comprehensive
> backup of my FreeBSD system, and the TAR command is too obscure for me,
> until I'll get the expecting book. But it is better to doing the backup
> process now ... So I would like to get a good and _safe_ method to backup
> the whole FreeBSD to my EZ-135.

If you have only a root file system

mount /dev/sd1a /mnt
find / -d -x | cpio -pdmv /mnt
umount /mnt

The -x option to find prevents it from recursively copying /mnt

If you have both root and /usr (or any other filesystems), perform
additional find/cpio's on them after cpio'ing root and before umounting
/mnt :)

find /usr -d -x | cpio -pdmv /mnt/usr

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                    714 443 4172
 DPC Systems                                                  dan@dpcsys.com