Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 2020 00:56:27 -0600
From:      Greg Rivers <gcr+freebsd-ports@tharned.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jan Beich <jbeich@freebsd.org>, Tatsuki Makino <tatsuki_makino@hotmail.com>, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Stale pkg repo?

On Saturday, 12 December 2020 00:10:04 CST Kevin Oberman wrote:
> A pkg build in 121amd64 latest was completed on 7-Dec after running for
> over 90 hours and another on 10-Dec that took a more typical 48 hours
> build. FWIW, gtk3 is hardly a big package. Try chromium, rust, llvm* or
> libreoffice. I've seen cases when multiple of these monsters are included
> in a single build of packages for amd64. My last chromium build took over
> 13 hours on my build system.

I have observed similar times. From the spot checks I've done, a full build of all packages averages between 50 and 60 hours.

> The pointis that 12.1 latest for amd64 has completed two big builds with
> the distribution system net getting the updated packages.

Which brings us back to my original point (for 12.1amd64/latest specifically). Why have the repos still not caught up with the builds? If rsync is proving unreliable, perhaps switching to replicating via incremental ZFS send/receive would be better? Can anyone in the know give an ETA on fixing the immediate problem?

--
Greg