Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 09:40:38 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: window manager question

On Wed 2000-01-05 (12:04), R Joseph Wright wrote:
> > For the above reasons (and because of "good practice"), I never
> > change root's login shell.  Instead, I use ``su -m'' (as a
> > normal user) to become root, which causes my root shell to be
> > the same as my normal user shell (which happens to be zsh).
> > In fact, my ``su'' is an alias for ``su -m''.

(nbm@ns1) /home/nbm> which su
su:      aliased to su -m

> Does this mean that generally I should never login as root, even for
> example when installing a new port?  I should do su instead?  If that's
> the case, is there an rc file that I can use to get my su shell to
> behave as my user shell?  For example, I like for the prompt to show my
> user name and current working directory.

I can't say I log in as root at all often - I almost always su.

My shell setup changes my prompt from ">" to "#" automatically,
and that's about the only difference, because 'su -m' preserves
your environment.

Whether this is good practise or not, I don't know.  It's almost
entirely required in most situations I'm in - I used to sysadmin
a largish student server which I almost never saw, and even less
logged in on console.  Now I have 5 or so servers around me, with
the same situation.  By now the difference between console and
network logins are lost to me.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner