Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 11:46:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        paul@freebsd.org
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DES, crypt and eBones

> > It is still dangerous, as the State Department could start with us, find
> > out how we brought it back in, go to you, and trace backwards to the
> > source.  Though we may have not exported it, we sure as heck where acting
> > as a party to a known crime.
> >
> > I would rather just stay away from the Kerberos code...
> >

> This is just passing the buck though (and is relevant for the crypt code
> in general and not just kerberos).
>
> Either you (i.e. those in the US) import work that is based on a site
> outside the US or we (i.e outside the US) grab the work that you do and
> very clearly break the export laws.
>
> Basing the work at a site outside the US and importing it seems the
> better of the two. I agree with Poul, we should move the non-exportable code
> to a "safe" site and call it secure.freebsd.org. It can become an official
> distribution site that everyone can import from.
>
> The arguments I've heard against this are self-centered i.e. I'm not
> working on the code if it's not conveniently sited at freefall, well
> tough, we (outside the US) have to put up with this why should the US
> contributers suffer *very little* when making infrequent contributions
> to the secure code. Mark's doing most of the work and this would be
> perfectly legal in any interpretation, site the stuff on his machine.
> No more problems.

Give me a site stable enough that could be used and I we can talk it
up in -core.  But from past record we are not doing to good here.  We
have had 3 folks from outside the USA start down this road, and we are
hoping that that Mark can stay with it for the long haul, but without
a site as devoted to FreeBSD as freefall by corporate dollar I don't see
us moving the bits any place.