Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 1995 15:10:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, phk@ref.tfs.com, barry@nacm.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, security@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: key exchange for rlogin/telnet services?

> Hokay. I understand _totally_ your sentiments.

Thanks.  :-)  I just don't particularly care to have the FBI/whoever
pounding on my door at 3AM....  I get little enough sleep as it is.

> This scenario has happenned before (and it is legal too, beleive it or not!)
> If you have an account in the US, could you make you code available there?
> I have an account on thud.cdrom.com, which is in Walnut Creek, SF (co-
> ordinates available on request :-). If you wish, I can work on the code,
> _in_the_US_, and only bring back that which is legal. If you feel
> uncomfortable with this, <ache@freebsd.org> "Andrew Chernov" (sp?) has
> already done similar acts from the (ex-) Soviet Union with no dis-
> approval from the world at large (please could anyone shout REAL loud if
> this is bullshit (I think it is not)). (This (if memory serves me) was to do
> with the US PGP code).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Actually, given that I have so much to do, there is a point you reach where
it no longer matters what you do because you will be hopelessly behind no
matter how many things you get done.  And I've been there for months.  :-)

So I guess it is no big suprise that I retrieved a virgin copy of the 2.0-R
source tree a little while ago, so that I could write up a set of notes that
one might use to reconstruct the magic binaries I've got.  I'll let you know
over the next few days what I discover.

However, I still do not know if it is legitimate to provide such materials
to a non-US citizen, particularly since when you are "on" thud or another box,
copies of the code are still being transmitted out of the country, and as
I really am unclear on all this, I won't have that potentially over my head.  If
Walnut Creek is clear on the legal issues, I would be more than happy to ask
Walnut Creek to issue me an account on one of their development boxes and
I will make my code available there, with suitable disclaimers and warnings.
If they feel that it is permissible to allow you to access the files, fine!
It is then either on your head or theirs, not mine.  :-)  But I will not
give you the code myself.

This country is mostly pretty good.  But there are some funny laws.

Back to hacking,

... Joe