Date:      27 Jul 2000 11:02:07 -0500
From:      Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Files in /usr/doc

In our last episode,
<Pine.BSF.4.21.0007270818350.10919-100000@q.closedsrc.org>,
the lovely and talented Linh Pham broadcast:

LP> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
>> No.  Buildworld doesn't touch stuff in /usr/doc.  The documentation
>> is included in the cvs-all collection, but you still need to 'cd
>> /usr/doc && make all install' to get it updated.

LP> I'm sorry for being such a pain, but I don't have /usr/doc, but
LP> rather I have /usr/share/doc and that directory does not have a
LP> Makefile.

If you do not have /usr/doc cvsup will create it and the
Makefile will be part of the download.

Note that to make the docs you need jade (which needs
libtool 1.3.4), the dtd catalog port, some docbook ports (which
I think will be made if you make jade), and tidy.  For
best results you will need .tidyrc in the /root directory
(although it isn't fatal if you don't).  Information on
.tidyrc is *NOT* in the man page.  Most of what tidy
does is pretty-making of the HTML mark up, most of
which is not visible to the user, but you may want
this in your .tidyrc

split:yes

which causes documents to be split into pages at
each <H2>.  This is especially useful for very
large documents (such as the Handbook) which
might take an annoying long time to load in
one piece.

--
  Lars Eighner           eighner@io.com           http://www.io.com/~eighner/
                             I hate laundry month.