Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 11:00:19 +0300
From:      "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
To:        "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@gerpa.ru>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Clustering software for FreeBSD (search or do it yourself?)

-----Original Message-----
From: Artem Koutchine <matrix@gerpa.ru>

And new FAST Search, see http://www.alltheweb.com
and http://www-new.fast.no/faq/faqfastwebsearch.html

>in clusters. Is there any (at all) clustering sw for FreeBSD or

>just a good example how to do it.

Look in the Ports tree, category net:

/usr/ports/net/clusterit-1.2  (bunch of clustering tools, maintainer dima@chg.ru)
/usr/ports/net/mpich-1.1.2    Message Passing Interface, MPI
/usr/ports/net/pvm-3.4.7      Parallel Virtual Machine

It is my understanding that MPI is the most useful tool,
but I can be wrong. Anyway, here are some links which
can be of interest for you (in Russian):

http://www.csa.ru/~il/mpi_tutor
http://www.csa.ru/CSA/tutor/index.htmr
http://www.csa.ru/CSA/SCList_mf.htmr
http://parallel.ru/

>When i comes to writing such software myself which would be
>the best way to interconnect boxes in cluster and connect them
>to the main db/filesystem server
>1) NFS?
>2) SHARED SCSI RAID ?
>3) Simple TCP interconnection over local network with home-made transfer daemons?
>4) something else?

As for filesystem consideration, Coda in /usr/ports/net
looks very promising, but I haven't used it

>Artem Koutchine (Артем Кучин)
>Sys/Net/Web Admin, Web Designer, Programmer
>WWW: http://idesign.pp.ru E-Mail: matrix@chat.ru
>No attachments w/o my permission!!!
>(Не присылайте файлы  без разрешения!!!)

Regards, Goshik