Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 2015 20:28:53 +0100
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        Rushil Paul <rushilpaul@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GSoC 2015 Task: Unifying ping and ping6

Hi Rushil,

> And what exactly should my proposal include? How much code can be shared
> between ping and ping6, how to test the program afterwards etc.? Some
> inputs from experts will be very helpful :-)

A good friend of mine is the author of noping/oping/liboping:

http://noping.cc/

It's a pretty sweet tool. It supports a tonne of options and has nice
displaying/graphing. It also has support for multiple address
families, can ping multiple addresses per hostname, etc.

The tool is LGPL/GPLv2 licensed, but the last time I talked to the
author, he said he was willing to go through the hoops to get it
relicensed to BSD/MIT if a party like us would be interested in using
it. Maybe it's worth considering going that route?

Best regards,
--
Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>