Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 06:47:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound channels a bit funny in guspnp18?

> Hi
>
> I am in play mode tonight, and I see some funnies with my GUS PnP as
> exposed by mixer(1) and xmmix (from ports/audio).
>
> The CD/TV (I have a Hauppauge WinTV/PCI on the CD connector in
> pass-through mode) are both unaffected by the mixer's "CD" volume
> setting. Instead, the "Synth" setting must be used. The "Speaker"
> volume setting has absolutely no effect whatsoever.
>
> When I use mpg123, the "PCM" setting in mixer works as expected, but
> again the "Speaker" setting has no effect at all.
>
> What is up?

mixer names are a mess. Every board manufacturer connects inputs in a
random way, so CD,LINE,SYNTH often have different meaning from what you
expect. But I am glad to hear that SYNTH controls the CD on the guspnp
as well, since this is the same I get on my CS4236. I will switch names
in my next snap to reflect reality a little bit more.

"Speaker" refers to the input connected to the PC speaker so there is
no surprise that you see no effect. Often this input is even left
unconnected.

	Cheers
	Luigi