Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 18:27:49 +0100
From:      Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@pt-quorum.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pro's, advanced use and some general ports confusion.

    Hi,

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:48:06AM +1200, David Preece wrote:
> I've been using FreeBSD for around two-three years, ish, have recently
> started playing with other unixen (notably Debian) and have got to wondering
> why, exactly, building from source is a good idea? Is it because we can get
> over some library versioning problems?

    Building from source gives the ability of "hack" the configuration.
    There are lots of ports that gives options to enable/disable features
    among other things.

    With a package, this is more dificult. For example, if a package wasn't
    configured with a certain configure option, then it is dificult or even
    impossible (some times) to activate that feature.

    Generally, ports gives more options and more configuration. Packages
    are built with "general" options mostly used.

> There are other advantages that I would have thought a no-brainer to add to
> the ports collection that I can't find any documentation on. For instance, is
> it possible to build a port for only the 586 instruction set? Can we change
> the optimisation level on gcc when we're building from scratch? Perhaps use a
> different compiler? Is there a way I can add a global list of extra locations
> where the distfiles may be located - a local FTP server for instance? Since
> all ports can be turned into packages with 'make package', why do there
> appear to be far fewer packages than ports?

    1.

    make.conf:

    # The CPUTYPE variable controls which processor should be targetted for
    # generated code.  This controls processor-specific optimizations in
    # certain code (currently only OpenSSL) as well as modifying the value
    # of CFLAGS to contain the appropriate optimization directive to gcc.
    # The automatic setting of CFLAGS may be overridden using the
    # NO_CPU_CFLAGS variable below.
    # Currently the following CPU types are recognised:
    #   Intel x86 architecture:
    #       (AMD CPUs)      k7 k6-2 k6 k5
    #       (Intel CPUs)    p4 p3 p2 i686 i586/mmx i586 i486 i386
    #   Alpha/AXP architecture: ev6 pca56 ev56 ev5 ev45 ev4
    #
    # If you experience any problems after setting this flag, please unset
    # it again before submitting a bug report or attempting to modify code.
    # It may be that certain types of software will become unstable after being
    # compiled with processor-specific (or higher - see below) optimization flags.
    # If in doubt, do not set CPUTYPE or CFLAGS to non-default values.
    #
    #CPUTYPE=i686
    #NO_CPU_CFLAGS= true    # Don't add -march=<cpu> to CFLAGS automatically
    #NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=true  # Don't add -march=<cpu> to COPTFLAGS automatically

    2.

    make.conf:

    #MASTER_SITE_BACKUP?=   \
    #ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIST_SUBDIR}/
    #
    # If you want your port fetches to check the above site first (before
    # the MASTER_SITES specified in the port Makefiles), uncomment the
    # line below.  You can also change the right side to point to wherever
    # you want.
    #
    #MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE?= ${MASTER_SITE_BACKUP}

    # Ports can place their working directories somewhere other than under
    # /usr/ports.
    #WRKDIRPREFIX=  /var/tmp

    etc...

> And if all this can be done, where's the doc :)

    You are using FreeBSD for 3 years. You forgot to read the handbook in
    the first day :)

    see http://www.freebsd.org/

> Apologies for my weak grip on English today, one of those things.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

    Bye,

    		Nuno Teixeira

/*
PGP fingerprint:
C6D1 06ED EB54 A99C 6B14  6732 0A5D 810D 727D F6C6
*/