Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 2009 12:44:10 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: twa driver and 3ware 9690SA issues

Josh Paetzel wrote:
> This is somewhat of a repost from questions@, and I'm currently engaged
> with 3ware about this issue.
>
> I have several 3ware 9690SA SAS RAID controllers.   This item is very
> similar to their 9650SE controller.  It uses the same firmware and
> driver, the difference being it can handle SAS drives.  Up until this
> point all of the arrays we've used with these drives have been RAID 1
> arrays with 7200 RPM SATA drives, but recently we've started using
> 15,000 MBA series Fujitsu SAS drives in places.
>
> The arrays have always been detected as:
>
> da0: <AMCC 9690SA-4I  DISK 4.06> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device
> da0: 100.000MB/s transfers

This 100.000MB/s number is fictitious.  The driver is just filling in a
dummy value.  Filling in the real number would require the driver being
able to query the card for the negotiated bus speed.  I have no idea
if that's possible for TWA given the programming information that is
public for the card.

> Which wasn't that much of an issue, as SATA drives aren't capable of
> sustained sequential 100 MB/sec transfers anyways, but the SAS drives we
> are getting are supposedly capable of 180 Megs/sec and I'm not seeing
> it.  I'm unsure of how to eliminate caching from the equation, simple
> tests like dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=8m count=1000 seem to support
> what dmesg reports by returning 96 Meg/sec transfer rates

FreeBSD limits individual I/O segments through the CAM subsystem to
64K.  It can safely be raised to 128K via some patches that I have, and
you will see a corresponding improvement in performance.  I don't
believe that it can be safely raised above that for the TWA controllers.

Scott