Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:28:03 -0400
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can procmail do THIS?

Ok, call me a guy with too much time if you must, but I ask this one
because I'm not... :-)

I often fall behind on lists, so when I forget to ask for a CC to me
when I ask a question, I can miss the answers for a while.  I use
procmail and have duplicates filtered out, so CC's to me never annoy
me anyway...

But I'd like a system which tracks messages I send out and puts
replies in my mail spool file.  I figure it can be done based on the
Subject or In-Reply-To lines, the former being prone to miss subject
changes initiated by responders, and the latter being most complex
(would surely require a database) because of the need to catch replies
to replies.  Tracking by subject would also require that something (or
yours truly) maintain a list of subjects of outgoing list mail.  I use
Mutt on the same box with sendmail, so I could in theory concoct a
means of automatically collecting subjects as messages went out; but
this sounds like about as much fun as a tax audit. :-)

So before I consider embarking on such a project, I thought I'd ask if
anyone has already done so.  Of course, if ever I do write such a rule
set, I'd be willing to share it.

And of course, direct-to-me CC's are most welcome... almost forgot to
say it again! :-)

--
Doug Lee           dgl@visi.com        http://www.visi.com/~dgl
Bartimaeus Group   doug@bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com