Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:01:02 -0400
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        'Andrew Reilly' <areilly@bigpond.net.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 07:16:00PM +1200, Juha Saarinen wrote:
> :: Those packets are _supposed_ to get back to this host.  That's
> :: what loopback is for.
>
> Yes, I think the RFCs make a point of this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the RFCs".

In http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space, 127/8 is
listed as "IANA Reserved". The text in RFC1700 is not relevant to
this discussion, since RFC1700 is no longer the authoritative
repository for numbers (see http://www.iana.org/numbers.html).

RFC 1122, "Requirements for Internet Hosts -- Communication Layers"
provides guidance for the interpretation of any address within
127/8 -- it says such addresses are for use as "internal host loopback
addresses". RFC 1122 is STD 3, an Official Internet Protocol Standard,
and hence is worth complying with.

RFC 1122 does not state that "every possible address within 127/8
must be treated as though it is a configured loopback address",
and to interpret it as such is bizarre and counter-intuitive.

RFC1122 also says, in the same paragraph, "addresses of this form
MUST NOT appear outside the host."

Installing a null covering route for 127/8 with the blackhole bit
set seems a good way of preventing addresses with a destination
within 127/8 from being sent out on a non-loopback interface, without
resorting to nasty hacks which make address handling on the loopback
interface different to every other interface. It is also consistent
with the robustness principle.

  route add 127.0.0.0 -netmask 255.0.0.0 -iface lo0 -blackhole

But, whatever. This is hardly a monumental requirement worth bickering
over.

Joe