Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:38:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@cgu.nl>
Subject:   Re: UNIX and NT

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Paul Dekkers wrote:

> Hi
>
> What are the possibilities to let NT use the UNIX password database or
> vise versa? In fact I want just 1 password database instead of 2...
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul Dekkers
> E-Mail: <P.Dekkers@cgu.nl>
> To err is human, to moo bovine

You and me both.  SAMBA can pass off user authentication for SMB
shares to a NT server, but that doesn't help anywhere else.
Something LDAP-ish would probably be nice, but I know nothing about
implementing a solution like that right now.

Samba can also change the password on an NT server when a user
requests it, or vice-versa (something like that... there is a
'password sync' type option), but that requires that accounts already
exist on the Unix box.  I imagine you are looking for something that
would include creating/deleting/syncronizing accounts on all NT/UNIX
boxes.

If you find anything, I would be interested also.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */