Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:55:11 -0500
From:      Matthew Fuller <fullermd@linkfast.net>
To:        Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA100-7200rpm vs 10k-rpm SCSI for build box

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 10:00:19AM -0400, a little birdie told me
that Thomas Stromberg remarked
> I'm currently trying to put together a personal workstation whose
> primary duty is compiling large projects (FreeBSD, mozilla, grass, etc.)
> $132 4.5G 10000RPM Seagate Cheetah
>
> The question is, whats the real speed difference between a IBM 75GX
> (http://www.tweakmax.com/html/ibm75gxp/ibm-1.cfm) and ye old 10000RPM
> Cheetahs in FreeBSD? Id imagine the Cheetah is faster for compiles, but
> is the difference small enough that Id be better off spending the $100 I
> save on ATA100 and spend it on another 128M of RAM. I would of course be
> using the drive as one drive per channel w/ softupdates, noatime.

Bonnie stats aren't too useful here, as bonnie just gives you large
single transfers.  As a general rule, I'd go with the SCSI.  I personally
recommend IBM Ultrastars, you can pick up a 9.1 gig Ultrastar (7200 RPM,
but stacks up pretty well against a cheetah 10k last I heard) for about
$170.  If 4.5 is all you need, I think they're a fair bit cheaper.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@linkfast.net