Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 14:00:25 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Matt Rohrer <rohrer@hawaii.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shutdown vs fastboot & reboot

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 17:38:26 -1000, Matt Rohrer wrote:

> When I reboot using 'shutdown -h now', and then boot back up, the
> machine won't connect to the network. If I simply use 'reboot' or
> 'fastboot' (fastboot is aliased to reboot, according to the man
> page) the network is detected with no problems.

My guess it that you're being misled by a red herring.  I suspect that
you powercycle the box when you shutdown -h now, while reboot and
fastboot softcycle the box.

When you boot from the dead (i.e. switch on the machine), does the
machine "connect to the network"?

By the way, "connect to the network" is a little vague.  What error
messages are you seeing in /var/log/messages?

By the way, one thing you could try doing is this:

1) shutdown -h now
2) get the box to reboot, however you normally do that
3) log in and do dmesg >~/dmesg.broken
4) fastboot
5) wait for the box to come back up
6) log in and do dmesg >~/dmesg.working
6) diff -ud ~/dmesg.working ~/dmesg.broken

Ciao,
Sheldon.