Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 17:12:46 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net (Jacob M. Parnas)
Cc:        henry@zoo.toronto.edu, hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

Jacob M. Parnas stands accused of saying:

> The TI 17550 can go up to 900kbaud/second, which is a new UART.

Compatible with the 16550?  Appropriately clocked, the 16550 will run at
1.5Mbps.

> Why connect at high speeds with a UART: money.  Most ethernet solutions
> cost well over $1000 not counting the ethernet hardware which may not be at
> home.  (card, tranceiver or hub, cables, etc).  I've seen a PC Card that

This is total bollocks.  An NE2000 clone ethernet card and cables will cost
you about $30 all up.

> costs $199-$319 depending on who you are, and it does everything
> with a UART on top (the software driver for BSDI will be $95.  So,
> how does $400 sound to you compared to the ethernet solution,
> considering that the $400 non-ethernet solution compare to an
> ethernet one.

But it doesn't.  You have zero flexibility, a driver with no source, and
from what you're saying, a UART-style interface with the associated high
interrupt and CPU overheads.

> You can get up to 512 Kbaud/second with it, it has 3
> types of compression and header compression (Stac, Ascend and
> Microsoft) and can change from two BRI channels down to one and vice
> versa as the other channel is used for voice fax, analog modem,
> phone, etc.  Pretty good in my opinion.

Thanks, but I'd go for an Ascend P50 or something similar any day.
Particularly since this card is unlikely to pass the Austel tests
anytime soon.