Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:01:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Tommy=20Hallgren?= <thallgren@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Benchmark oddities

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, [iso-8859-1] Tommy Hallgren wrote:

> I'm reading http://www-scf.usc.edu/~akhavans/Linux_vs_FreeBSD.pdf and have a
> couple of questions I hope someone here could answer.

I thought this paper was quite poorly written, in general - for example,
the author is unable to stop gushing about Linux during the first half of
the paper (he talks about how standards-compliant it is, the "exemplary
performance" it achieves, etc) but then seems to switch abruptly
mid-stream, and comes to the conclusion that neither is better than the
other.

There are several outright fallacies in his reasoning which invalidate
some of the conclusions and testing methodologies (such as the getpid()
thing, the claim (allegedly from a Linux manpage, no less!) that FreeBSD
copies the entire address space on fork(), the claim that FreeBSD can "run
fewer copies of the Apache binary" since the binary size is larger, that
it is unable to run on >2 CPUs), etc.

Basically, it's so poorly done it's not worth worrying about (until it
shows up on slashdot, sigh)

Kris