Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:26:36 -0500 (COT)
From:      Buliwyf McGraw <buliwyf@libertad.univalle.edu.co>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gets() is unsafe (fwd)

> Buliwyf McGraw wrote:
>
> > Kris Kennaway, and lo! it spake thus:

> >              ^^^^^^^^^

> > [...]
> >>>

> >>I think it's an even better FAQ: Why, when he's compiling, is it linking
> >>against a compat/libc?
> >>

> >  Ok... i have to say that i am not an expert on FreeBSD, just a new
> >  admin... I installed FreeBSD 4.4 on my box (in some  way, "everything by
> >  default")... and then i started to install some applications (apache,php,etc),
> >  not with the /stand/sysinstall utility, but in the traditional way:
> >  - Download the *.tar.gz
> >  - Uncompress, configure, make, make install
> >
> >  I expected no problems... but as you can see, the warning messages give
> >  an "insecure" sensation.
> >  I want to do something to avoid that messages when i try to compile a GNU
> >  application.
> >  Thanks for your comments and help.
>

> The easiest thing to do is to install your applications from the ports.
> If you installed the ports collection, these are available under
> /usr/ports.  For example, to install Apache, you can cd to
> /usr/ports/www/apache2 (or apache*) and then just type make install.
> Any modifications or special configurations is handled by the port.You
> can similarly install mod_php from /usr/ports/www/mod_php4 (or
> mod_php3).
>
> This doesn't seem to be very much related to security.
> Cc'ing to freebsd-questions.

  Off course that this does to seem to be related about security.
  I was working with FreeBSD 3.4 before upgrade to 4.4... and this
  problem doesn't exist.
  My point is: What is the limit between Security and Administration?
  I mean, some people needs php with support for mysql and imap... and
  another for oracle and gd... everyone has a lot of different needs...
  Is possible that the ports could cover all configure requeriments of the
  roots? Apache offers a lot of configuration options... which of them use
  the /usr/ports/www/apache2?
  To use the ports seem to be a "relative" secure standar for the future?
  As i can see it, if i dont use the ports then the compiler going to tell
  me if the code of the application that i am installing is insecure or
  not.
  Ok, i did this proof... xmms 1.25 has a security problem (i read
  something about it but i dont know exactly the problem description),
  the point is, that is the version of xmms in the ports for FreeBSD 4.4.
  I was looking in the xmms web site (www.xmms.org) and i found a new
  version of the program (1.26) that fix the problems of the 1.25 ... i
  download the new source code and try to compile it... but the compiler
  tould me: "unsafe code" and i got a lot of error/warning messages about
  it. In the end, i couldn't install it.
  Lets try the ports i said:
  % cd /usr/ports/audio/xmms
  % make
  % make install

  No Pain!... No Problem!... No warning messages about insecure code...
  but the application has security vulnerabilities (1.2.5).
  The ports are a good/easy way to install applications on the box, but
  it doesn't offer security garanties.
  I am not an expert, but i think that the warning messages are more than
  a bug... it seems like a security standar or something like this...
  maybe in the future, if the application isn't in the ports, you can not
  to install in your FreeBSD (dont worry, it is just paranoia).
  Any way, thanks for your help and comments.

 Buliwyf McGraw
 Administrador del Servidor Libertad
 Centro de Servicios de Informacion
 Universidad del Valle