Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2012 07:29:04 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Olivier Smedts <olivier@gid0.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -> portmaster Rosetta Stone?
References:  <CA%2BE3k93doEmK7YpiZLgBCB5WUmOeCCLLLQBak_-Nx8sGqiafhQ@mail.gmail.com> <CABzXLYM47FjwmEvKijOp41Hn0KhTTPJ-dnX58PxTS8oUff-THQ@mail.gmail.com> <4F4BA7CE.20107@FreeBSD.org> <CABzXLYMVf3JU6Q=mXHV3ddPvKjWmNtWKsbcTWy9FjPOnNYoMLw@mail.gmail.com> <CAF6rxgnNHBOt8NibEr=Vgmqw9bTPmG7tG7s6e-dAHrtbbtjXOA@mail.gmail.com> <4F4BCF87.6070209@FreeBSD.org> <CABzXLYP==pMzme6yD-g8wosff3YHDR_%2BSeaBQuQtaHyocJoFPA@mail.gmail.com> <4F4BE02D.4020907@FreeBSD.org> <CABzXLYN%2Byb_dZcYPJegXD9_tk49KjdRcH1oj1QJgMXBfnmdGyA@mail.gmail.com> <4F4C092F.8080804@FreeBSD.org>

On 27 Feb 2012 22:53, "Doug Barton" <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2/27/2012 12:04 PM, Olivier Smedts wrote:
> >>
> >> What about ... no. :)
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, portmaster is a great tool, reliable, and I'm
> > using it nearly daily.
> >
> > But why not, if there's a reason ? "potential foot shooting" ?
>
> It's a general philosophy thing that is common to mergemaster and
> portmaster. I feel *incredibly* strongly that it's important for key
> system management tools to *not* make unsafe assumptions. I (and by
> extension the tools that I write) have no way to know what changes are
> mission-critical to a given user. Therefore, I have *no business*
> merrily blowing stuff away that the user may have been depending on.
>
> In the particular case of creating backup packages, with or without the
> -b option, the default assumption is that those packages are being
> *relied* on by the user to roll back an update in case of catastrophe.
> For users that don't care about what happens with the backup packages
> there is already a command line option to disable creation of them. My
> assumption is that if the user is not using the option to disable them
> altogether that the backup packages must have value. (Also, a
> meta-issue, if the ports developers are doing their jobs then backup
> package creation failure should be an incredibly rare occurrence.)

+1

You could always email the maintainer with the OPTIONS you've used if you
get this error; it'll then get fixed!

Chris