Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:00:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: How to stop XDM properly?

On 30-Mar-00 William Melanson wrote:

> Sorry about the rather off-topic question. I've been starting XDM via a
> startup file in the rc.d directory. As of now the only way I can stop
> XDM
> is to escape to another available console and kill all XDM associated
> processes. Is there a simpler way to stop XDM outside the method I am
> currently using? Did I read in a past simular post that the "exec"
> command
> should preceed the execution of XDM within the XDM/rc.d startup
> script? What does adding exec to the script actually do?
>
> Thanxs much in advance...

The reason for using the "exec" command, if you're running xdm from a
script, is that it causes the invoked process (xdm, in this case) to
*replace* the shell process that calls it, so you're not left with an
unnecessary shell process still running in the background.

As for the best, most surefire way to kill xdm, "killall xdm" should be
the ticket.  :-)

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/