Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:30:38 +0200
From:      Martijn Lina <martijn@medialab.lostboys.nl>
To:        Thomas Beauchamp <robotomas2001@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recovery from 'rm -rf /'

--+PbGPm1eXpwOoWkI

Once upon a 03-10-2001, Thomas Beauchamp hit keys in the following order:
> =20
>  Anybody with experience/knowledge of recovering
> erased
>  files with stupid 'rm -r / *' command?=20

first of all, be sure that absolutely nothing is writing to the disk anymor=
e.
the inodes that have been freed last, will be the first to be used again.
that's why my initial reaction of restoring the backup caused me a lot of
problems, because the backup appeared to be incomplete.

>  I understand that the couple 'unrm' 'lazarus' can
> help
>  in this.

those tools can probably be of help, i guess, but it looks to me that it's =
only
useful for analysing it for some hackers activity clearing up logs etc. i've
been able to succesfully restore few m$word documents from the output of um=
rm,
but only those that luckly had been stored in an unfragmented way on the di=
sk.
in case of fragmentation, i guess it would be necessary to know which inodes
would be the next in the chain. i haven't figured out how though.

if your filesystem is still not rewritten, i think 'ils' could be of use. it
can list all inodes of removed files. it's also part of The Coroners Toolki=
t,
like unrm and lazarus. i don't know how much empty space you have to work w=
ith,
but lazarus isn't very well written and crashes after processing 2GB of dat=
a:
out of memory.

the docs from tct are pretty helpful. not too much to read, so take a look =
at
that and decides which tools would be most helpful for your situation. i've
only played with unrm and lazarus. unrm takes all unallocated inodes from t=
he
rm-ed partition and puts it in one big file. lazarus uses that file to spli=
t it
up in blocks and recognizing if it's text, binary, compressed, gif/jpg, mai=
l,
etc. if you have to look for binary data, like me, i don't know if this out=
put
could be of any use, unless the original file was small enough to fit in one
block.

and of course, a hexeditor could always help. i liked ports/editors/hexedit=
 the
best, for it's speedy search on my 3GB unrm-file.

goodluck

martijn

--+PbGPm1eXpwOoWkI

--+PbGPm1eXpwOoWkI--