Date:      Tue, 2 May 2023 18:54:28 +0800
From:      Ganbold Tsagaankhuu <ganbold@gmail.com>
To:        Matheus <lojas@arroway.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nanopi R5S support and build guide

--00000000000029603505fab3c46d

On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 6:50=E2=80=AFPM Matheus <lojas@arroway.org> wrote:

> On May 1, 2023 1:47:12 PM GMT-03:00, "S=C3=B8ren Schmidt" <
> soren.schmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On 30 Apr 2023, at 23.44, Matheus <lojas@arroway.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am trying to have FreeBSD 14 running on this SBC. I could not find
> >any guides in how to build images for it. I found the
> >people.freebsd.org/~sos/ site that has some images, and one for it, but
> >that seldom boots my board, and when it did, there was no console over
> >serial or vga.
> >>
> >> If anyone can give any hints. Unfortunately my dev skills are not
> >good. But I can test and help build once I figure out how :)
> >
> >Hi Matheus
> >
> >The image at
> >

> https://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ARM64/current-RK356X-images/nano5-sdcard.=
img.gz

> >for the Nanopi R5S does indeed boot with both HDMI output and serial
> >console (1500000baud).
> >
> >The boot loader (EDK2 in FDT mode) is very picky on SD card quality
> >though from experience, I works for me with Sandisk Ultra / Extreme
> >cards but not with Samsung and cheap noname SD cards YMMV.
>
> Hi S=C3=B8ren,
>
> I had really issues on sd carda. I got it to boot once, but I was printin=
> characters on screen at one per second. So I rebooted and don't remember
> why rewrote the card. I can't boot anymore. Tried different cards, SanDis=
> ultra, no luck.
>
> I can boot an 13.2 image from the guy at personalbsd though. But there I
> have just one ethernet.
> On 13.2 I cannot list the ethernets nics using pciconf -lv, including the
> one that works. Is this expected?

Yes. Did you try
https://personalbsd.org/download/Business/FreeBSD-aarch64-14.0-CURRENT-Nano=
Pi-R5S-20230402.img.xz
?
This image should have support for pcie and all ethernet should work IIRC.

Ganbold

> I have little understanding of the arch, so my progress is much slow.
> I got some dmesg from OpenBSD people where the nics show in ifconfig. But
> I couldn't get mine to behave this way. I can install though, using USB
> nic.
> I will try to buy a new sd card from the good list you pointed.
> Another thing, I got the feeling that when I dd'ed the image using the SD
> card slot on the notebook it worked and when was through usb adapter did
> not. Does it make sense? Using Linux mint as host for this.
> Thanks so much for the answer and help,
>
> Matheus
>

> >You can build a stock ARM64 generic kernel and most things will be
> >usable, however as Ganbold wrote the DTS files is not in there yet (and
> >not even in linux where our DTS files are fetched from).
> >However the EDK2 boot loader provided (and used in above image) on
> >
> >https://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ARM64/EDK2-RK356X/NANOPI-R5S_EFI.itb=EF=
=BF=BC
> >NANOPI-R5S_EFI
> >File =C2=B7 1,7 MB
> >
> >does hand over the =E2=80=9Cright=E2=80=9D DTB file if you want to exper=
iment.

> >If you need the used DTS file and build guidance let me know in private
> >mail...
> >
> >--
> >S=C3=B8ren Schmidt
> >sos@deepcore.dk / sos@freebsd.org
> >"So much code to hack, so little time"
>
> ---
> "We will call you Cygnus,
> the God of balance you shall be."

--00000000000029603505fab3c46d

M Matheus &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:lojas@arroway.org">lojas@arroway.org</a>&gt=
; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px=
 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
On May 1, 2023 1:47:12 PM GMT-03:00, &quot;S=C3=B8ren Schmidt&quot; &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:soren.schmidt@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">soren.schmidt@gma=
il.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; On 30 Apr 2023, at 23.44, Matheus &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:lojas@arro=
way.org" target=3D"_blank">lojas@arroway.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; I am trying to have FreeBSD 14 running on this SBC. I could not fi=
nd<br>
&gt;any guides in how to build images for it. I found the<br>
&gt;<a href=3D"http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">people.freebsd.org/~sos/</a> site that has some images, and one=
 for it, but<br>
&gt;that seldom boots my board, and when it did, there was no console over<=
br>
&gt;serial or vga.<br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;&gt; If anyone can give any hints. Unfortunately my dev skills are not<=
br>
&gt;good. But I can test and help build once I figure out how :)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Hi Matheus<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;The image at<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<a href=3D"https://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ARM64/current-RK356X-images/=
nano5-sdcard.img.gz" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://people.fr=
eebsd.org/~sos/ARM64/current-RK356X-images/nano5-sdcard.img.gz</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;for the Nanopi R5S does indeed boot with both HDMI output and serial<br=

&gt;console (1500000baud).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;The boot loader (EDK2 in FDT mode) is very picky on SD card quality<br>
&gt;though from experience, I works for me with Sandisk Ultra / Extreme<br>
&gt;cards but not with Samsung and cheap noname SD cards YMMV.<br>
Hi S=C3=B8ren, <br>
I had really issues on sd carda. I got it to boot once, but I was printing =
characters on screen at one per second. So I rebooted and don&#39;t remembe=
r why rewrote the card. I can&#39;t boot anymore. Tried different cards, Sa=
nDisk ultra, no luck. <br>
I can boot an 13.2 image from the guy at personalbsd though. But there I ha=
ve just one ethernet. <br>
On 13.2 I cannot list the ethernets nics using pciconf -lv, including the o=
ou try=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://personalbsd.org/download/Business/FreeBSD-aa=
rch64-14.0-CURRENT-NanoPi-R5S-20230402.img.xz">https://personalbsd.org/down=
load/Business/FreeBSD-aarch64-14.0-CURRENT-NanoPi-R5S-20230402.img.xz</a> ?=
order-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"> <br>
I have little understanding of the arch, so my progress is much slow. <br>
I got some dmesg from OpenBSD people where the nics show in ifconfig. But I=
 couldn&#39;t get mine to behave this way. I can install though, using USB =
nic. <br>
I will try to buy a new sd card from the good list you pointed. <br>
Another thing, I got the feeling that when I dd&#39;ed the image using the =
SD card slot on the notebook it worked and when was through usb adapter did=
 not. Does it make sense? Using Linux mint as host for this. <br>
Thanks so much for the answer and help, <br>
Matheus <br>
&gt;You can build a stock ARM64 generic kernel and most things will be<br>
&gt;usable, however as Ganbold wrote the DTS files is not in there yet (and=
&gt;not even in linux where our DTS files are fetched from).<br>
&gt;However the EDK2 boot loader provided (and used in above image) on <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<a href=3D"https://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ARM64/EDK2-RK356X/NANOPI-R5S=
_EFI.itb" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://people.freebsd.org/~=
sos/ARM64/EDK2-RK356X/NANOPI-R5S_EFI.itb</a>=EF=BF=BC=C2=A0 <br>
&gt;NANOPI-R5S_EFI<br>
&gt;File =C2=B7 1,7 MB<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;does hand over the =E2=80=9Cright=E2=80=9D DTB file if you want to expe=
riment.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;If you need the used DTS file and build guidance let me know in private=
&gt;mail...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;--<br>
&gt;S=C3=B8ren Schmidt<br>
&gt;<a href=3D"mailto:sos@deepcore.dk" target=3D"_blank">sos@deepcore.dk</a=
> / <a href=3D"mailto:sos@freebsd.org" target=3D"_blank">sos@freebsd.org</a=
&gt;&quot;So much code to hack, so little time&quot;<br>
---<br>
&quot;We will call you Cygnus,<br>
the God of balance you shall be.&quot;<br>

--00000000000029603505fab3c46d--