Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:03:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Do we have/want getconf(1)?

Saw a reference to getconf(1) on one of the other lists to which I'm
subscribed.  Point was that since it's a command (vs. library function)
it's (relatively) easy to use in configuration scripts & the like.

I jsut did a quick "apropos" & didn't see a reference to it (as of
FreeBSD-2.2.6).

I see that a Solaris 2.5 system has a man page for it....  :-)

So if there's interest, I might see about cobbling up something that
would match the Solaris' documentation; here's an excerpt from the
man page:

getconf(1)                User Commands                getconf(1)

NAME
     getconf - get configuration values

SYNOPSIS
     getconf system_var
     getconf path_var pathname

DESCRIPTION
     In the first synopsis form, the getconf utility  will  write
     to  the  standard output the value of the variable specified
     by system_var.

     In the second synopsis form, getconf will write to the stan-
     dard  output the value of the variable specified by path_var
     for the path specified by pathname.

     The value of each configuration variable will be  determined
     as if it were obtained by calling the function from which it
     is defined to be available.  The value will  reflect  condi-
     tions in the current operating environment.

Thoughts?

[Yes, I know that FreeBSD isn't lacking for projects, and that I am
lacking in available time.  However, should there be a tendency to
have more software use something like getconf(1), it would seem to
be useful to have the ability to take advantage of it.]

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621