Date:      Thu, 17 May 2012 20:10:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
To:        Don Lewis <truckman@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAND Framework in HEAD.

On Thu, 17 May 2012, Don Lewis wrote:

> Any thoughts on how well NAND FS might work on SSDs as compared to
> something like UFS, which isn't aware of the properties of the
> underlying storage?  I would think that avoiding random block overwrites
> would help performance and device lifetime.

Filesystems designed to work with raw NAND Flash take care of issues
like bad block management and garbage collecting freed blocks.  These
are functionalities already embedded in SSDs.

Even zfs avoids random block overwrites.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/