Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:31:39 +0300 (EEST)
From:      BigBrother-{BigB3} <bigbrother@bigb3.homeftp.net>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'unregistered_only' in natd does not work?

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> BigBrother-{BigB3} wrote:
> [ ... ]
>> I have trouble making a passive ftp connection to work, because every time
>> natd changed source port even though it should not. Sometimes it changes
>> within the IP_PORTRANGE_DEFAULT but sometimes it changes it to something
>> completely irrelevant like 30000
>>
>> The verbose log of natd shows this:
>>
>> Out {default}  [TCP] 193.92.?????:55211 -> 193.92.????:3866 aliased to
>>            [TCP] 193.92.??????:37962 -> 193.92.?????:3866
>
> You might try using the punch_fw keyword or flag to natd to try and control
> the portrange used for ephermeral FTP & IRC data channels, BTW...but if your
> problem also affects passive-mode FTP, something else is going on.
>
> What happens if you change your IPFW divert statement to only match the
> RFC-1918 unroutable addresses which you're using, and not send internal
> routable traffic to NATD...?
>
> --
> -Chuck

Dear Chuck,

Thank you for your answer.

1) I have already tried punch_fw keyword with
different settings but nothing happened. I mean that no dynamic rule was
added. I think that punch_fw works when you are on the box and try to
connect to another ftp server (thus, when you are client). I do not think
that punch_fw works when this box is the server. Passive mode from the box
itself is ok...works without any problem.

2) I am not sure how to change the divert command because take notice that
divert should be applied to both incoming and both outgoing packets. I
think that messing with divert may cause some strange problems...

I followed your suggestion and It seems that the following works (not
tested thoroughly though)

$fwcmd add 14999 skipto 15001 all from $oip to any via $oif
$fwcmd add 15000 divert natd all from any to any via $oif

(do you have any feeling for possible faults on the skipto line?)

I will test but I think it should be noted that this is a but in natd
code (I mean the 'unregistered_only').

Thanks for the support!

BB

---