Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 23:56:40 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to deal with /var/log

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:38:50AM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 05:16:47PM +0200, Ernst de Haan wrote:
> > How does one deal with /var/log when installing ports? I know that Apache
> > writes to /var/log/httpd-access.log, but I don't think this file is removed
> > after deinstalling Apache.
> >
> > In my quest of improving the Java ports for FreeBSD, I'm thinking about adding
> > symlinks from /var/log to /usr/local/orion1.4.5/log/.
> >
> > My questions:
> >
> > [a] How is /var/log usually dealt with in ports? Or how *should* it be dealt
> >     with?
> >
> > [b] Is it allowed for a port to add files or symlinks in /var/log?
> >
> > [c] If so, then how do I specofy these files in my pkg-plist?
>
> /var/log is not touched by default.  We don't have proper mechanisms to
> allow system administrators to choose at package removal time.
>
> Please don't change files from their expected default (even if it is
> just a symlink).

Just another datapoint:  IMNSHO, log files should NOT be removed
automatically when deinstalling a package/port.  Consider the case
of a port being upgraded on a production server - well, call me
paranoid, but I would certainly like to keep my logfiles across
the upgrade :)  (just think about statistics and pretty, colorful
pie-charts and bargraphs for the marketing dudes.. eeewwww ;)

G'luck,
Peter

--
I am not the subject of this sentence.