Date:      18 Apr 2001 14:58:04 -0400
From:      Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem on laptop...

"Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> writes:

> Well, a bit of research shows that the WinModem on the 600E is based
> on the IBM ACP mWave modem, not a Lucent. IBM has open-sourced drivers
> for this chip available for Linux, so it might be possible to convert
> it to run on FreeBSD, but I don't have the time to learn to do it,
> let alone to do it.
>
> If anyone else is interested in looking into it, see:
> http://http://oss.software.ibm.com/developer/opensource/linux/projects/mwave/

Not only did they release source, they actually made a "port" to FreeBSD on
April 18.  I don't have my ThinkPad to try out right now, but rest assured
I will look at this tonight.  The web page makes note that the driver is
still GPL licensed, so it cannot be folded into the general FreeBSD
release.

Perhaps we could eventually put this in 'ports'?

--
Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>

"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is
nothing to compare to it now."