Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:24:05 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca
Cc:        Antoine.Beaupre@lmc.ericsson.se, alex@big.endian.de, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, richy@apple.com, libh@FreeBSD.ORG, will@physics.purdue.edu
Subject:   Re: packagetool.tcl

From: "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:10:42 -0400

> Of course. But what's the alternative here? You talked about offering
> the user to still use pkg_add. Isn't that worse? Wouldn't that clobber
> the existing libh installs?

I think the "alternative" is to make a clean switch and simply have
admins continue to use pkg_add and all those foo.tgz packages right up
until the point that some "new package collection", and I'm sure there
will be people trying to create those, has enough of what they want in
it to jump across the divide.  Having transition aids is nice, but
sometimes the best thing you can do is also not pretend that such
transition is painless and have people instead defer it until such
time as it becomes a full and complete replacement for whatever
they're using.

- Jordan