Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:38:16 -0700
From:      Joshua Lokken <joshua@twobirds.us>
To:        Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
Cc:        "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@wixb.com>
Subject:   Re: comparison to solaris9

* Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com> [2004-04-25 12:56]:

> >I had never seen the nickname 'Slowlaris' before that, but I came to
> >appreciate it ;)
>
> Solaris advocates used to say that it was slow on uniprocessor systems.
>  I think freebsd 5.2.1 through that out the window.  (because of SMP
> kernels)
>
> I haven't used solaris 9 x86, but i have seen *bsd vs solaris 7 and 8
> on x86 hardware.  Solaris is a tad bit slow.  In fact, its not just
> ia32 hardware.  I had an old sparc that came with solaris and i put
> NetBSD on it.  NetBSD was easily twice as fast.  (not sparc64)  It was

I have had the same experience there, too, with an SS5.  It runs Solaris
*very* slowly, but with NetBSD (which it's running now) it's a nice
little desktop machine (if only I could get X to display in more than
8-bit color depth.)

--
Joshua

"Don't worry; your wife's virtue will remain as
     untouched as Bill Gates' weight room!"
               -- Artie Ziff