Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:05:10 -0500
From:      Charlie Livingston <charlie@sysninjas.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to ping from one of my Bridged Interfaces

I'm having issues with bridging in FreeBSD - I can't ping the machine from anything connected to one of the bridged interfaces.

My configuration is as follows:

        Internet

          fxp0
---------------------------
| FreeBSD 4-Stable Router |
---------------------------
 xl0                wi0
 |                  |
 |                  |
 Wired Nodes        Wireless Nodes

fxp0 has the ip xx.xx.166.214 (first 2 octets blanked for privacy)
xl0 has the ip xx.xx.167.233 netmask 255.255.255.248 (same)
The other nodes have ips assigned out of the 167.232/28 subnet.

The problem is, none of the nodes connected to wi0 can ping the router.  But traffic is passed freely from xl0 to wi0 and vice versa.  Nodes connected via xl0 work perfectly.

The commands I used to configure the bridge are:
kldload bridge
sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1
sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="wi0 xl0"
sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
wicontrol -s "FreeBSD AP" -t 3 -n "HomeNetwork"
ifconfig wi0 inet up ssid HomeNetwork mediaopt hostap
wicontrol -p 6

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks;

Charlie Livingston