Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:33:24 +0100
From:      Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAIL set by whom?

> But what I need is /home/{$USER}/Maildir/ in order for Mutt to
> work with Maildirs. The above /etc/login.conf parts don't do the
> trick and other occurrences of MAIL I can't find.
>
> So what gives? (IOW please help! :)

You can set MAIL via /etc/login.conf, all applications that use
either login(1) or setusercontext(3) should work.

Beware of ssh! The OpenSSH client, that is part of FreeBSD is
completey buggy here: It sets MAIL to /var/mail/$USER, this is
hardcoded. I have a dirty fix, maybe I'll clean it up and
send it as a PR or to Kris (Kris, are you still ssh maintainer?)

This whole stuff of initial user environment and friends has
to be cleaned up to be consistent for all login methods: login(1),
xdm, rsh, rlogin, ssh, telnet. I would volunteer(sic!) for a in detail
analysis of this issue if I get feedback on this. (i.e. looking for
inconsistencies, where to put on solutions (e.g. a pam module
that evals /etc/login.conf via setusercontext(3)).

To fiddle with user's .bash{rc,_profile}, .tcshrc, .whateverrc
is the wrong way. Some rc files are not evaluated for non login shells,
so you put it into .bashrc or whatever get executed for non login
shells; if you do this you parameters will be overwritten each time
you start a new shell (e.g. xterm).

The user should have a minimal reasonable environment (even without
shell rc files, if you want to go that far), that he/she may optionally
extend or adapt. /etc/login.conf, maybe in combination with pam, is
the right thing for doing this.

  Bjoern