Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2012 16:11:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Darrel <levitch@iglou.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [solved]: to move csup 90 to subversion 91rc

>>> stable/9 is the SVN equivalent of RELENG_9

src only, understood now.  Thanks, Matthew.

> Yes. There is never any branching in the ports tree. The latest (i.e.,
> head) version is, at any given time, expected to work for all (then)
> supported versions of the base system.
>
> This is not a change -- this has always been the case, and the current
> (cvsup-centric) text in the Handbook describes it explicitly.

same as nbsd, then.  I probably need to read fbsd handbook again

>> It turns out that mergemaster would have been alright in my case, due
>> to .mergemasterrc, I can not recall why this was selected, comments
>> are welcomed:
>>
>> # cat .mergemasterrc
>> FREEBSD_ID=YES
>
> Equivalent to -F.
>
>> VERBOSE=YES
>> AUTO_INSTALL=YES
>> RUN_UPDATES=YES
>> COMP_CONFS=YES
>> PRESERVE_FILES_DIR=/var/tmp/mergemaster/preserved-files-`date +%y%m%d-%H%M%S`
>> DELETE_STALE_RC_FILES=YES
>
> A reasonable set of defaults, although I prefer a little more human
> interaction on major changes. Why it "would have been alright(sic)" in
> your case isn't clear, because you don't describe the alternative, but
> the manual for mergemaster(8) almost certainly has the answer.

Hopefully not to have bored you too much, Matthew's mention of -F with
mergemaster solved this problem of conversion from csup to svn- yet as you
saw it was already in my .mergemasterrc  , that is why I wrote that it
"would have been alright".

I like human interaction in every case where it is beneficial.  If you
want to send some guidance, it is welcomed.  Other than that, I will let
it be and also study the manual again; i.e. man 8 mergemaster.

Kind regards,
Darrel