Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:34:16 -0500
From:      ravikm@us.ibm.com
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Loadable drivers in FreeBSD and NetBSD

Hi!

We are trying to see if we can convert the drivers in our NetBSD
implementation into loadable drivers so that we can reduce the size of
the kernel.   I know that in Linux, we can achieve this by adding the
entry and exit points - init_module() and cleanup_module(), and adding
the  MODULE flag to the compiles for the driver code.  Then we should be
able to add and remove them dynamically using the commands "insmod" and
"rmmod".

How does it work on the NetBSD and FreeBSD.  Do we need to add the same
routines in the drivers and compile them with the MODULE flag?  Also,
would the kernel then not have these drivers statically linked?
Is the dynamic loadability feature supported in the NetBSD 1.4/1.5 kernels?

Can these drivers be hot-loaded at runtime, or do they need to be
explicitly loaded using some commands such as "insmod" or so.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ravi Mandava