Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:04:31 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: doreti() and userret()

Julian Elischer wrote:
> I notice that you are reversing people's work of gradually
> getting rid of K&R function declarations. This is opposite to what we
> are doing as a group. (converting functions to ansi declarations
> as we hit them).

If you want, I could "hit" all of them for you; that would
be as simple as running one of the ANSI-fication programs
from port, if you were really into the idea of FreeBSD never
being able to be compiled with a K&R compiler ever again.

We all know that prototypes exist because there is a missing
linker field in object files that would do that same thing
at link time, without needing to have prottypes in scope at
compilation time, and that this is probably because the
compiler vendors were lazy at the time, and didn't want to
have to modify their linkers or object file formats.  Now we
have the ability to put this information into a seperate ELF
section, there's really no excuse for prototypes...

Whatever happened to the idea that BSD code would run
everywhere, or that an OS might have to be ported to a new
platform, without the OS porting team having to become the
GCC maintainer for that platform for the next 2 years,
minimally, in order to meet the license and distribution
requirements of GPL derived code?

> > Please don't top post (top mail?).
>
> what does that mean?
> I shouldn't add to the top of the old email?

It means "don't post a response before the context in which
the response is being made, or don't include unnecessary
context at all, if the context included is not needed".

-- Terry