Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:07:21 +0200
From:      "F. Xavier Noria" <fxn@retemail.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emacs customization

Bsd Newbie wrote:

> Where can I find an easy to understand tutorial or how-to that describes
> how to customize emacs.

It is no longer necessary to write Elisp to customize Emacs, M-x customize
is your friend.

I think you are right about the docs. The full customization of the editor
has so much possibilities that needs to be explained along the GNU Emacs
Manual. That's why one has M-x customize for simple preferences.

If one wants something further (I would like that when I open a file Emacs
checks whether it belongs to a CVS repository and, in that case, if I have
and old version ask whether I want to update it), which is the point of
Elisp, one needs to know more things. One way to learn is to read other's
.emacs ---for instance from www.dotemacs.de or www.dotfiles.com--- study
the GNU Emacs Manual and play with Elisp. Read an ask in Usenet as well,
comp.emacs is very active.

I think it's worth the effort.

-- fxn