Date:      Sat, 26 May 2012 14:01:47 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: WARNING - DO NOT test: IPv6 offload support in HEAD + patch for stable/9

On 25. May 2012, at 16:55 , Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> Hey,
>=20
> last night I pushed in the essential offloading support changes for =
IPv6
> along with quite a bit of other "noise" into HEAD.  There is more =
locking
> improvements etc. to come once I have looped things back to my working =
tree
> and Michael Tuexen will improve SCTP/v6 on loopback as well soonish.
>=20
> This is a call for testing.  The in-tree cxgb(4) and ixgbe(4) drivers

WARNING - please refrain from testing IPv6 or updating your HEAD if you =
do
not have any of the above two NICs and rely on IPv6, or if you have =
updated and
are experiencing problems.  Disabling -txcsum -tso for the moment should =
be an
often unhelpful workaround.  It seems I was just lucky with my choice of =
other
NICs I tested but I cannot say which once are affected in the tree and =
which
once aren't.

Andrew Gallatin has pointed out that I missed an essential IPv4 header =
parsing
thing beyond TSO in some (most?) NIC drivers and it went unnoticed in =
review.
I'll post an update in a few hours once I know how many drivers are =
affected,
or have the proper fix as it might also be a question in which =
(old/cheap) silicon
might not do what is expected.

> have been updated to make use of the new features (TSO6/LRO6), and =
more
> drivers will follow (I already have cxgbe done, talking about mxge, =
..)
> but others  should also see improvements for at least upper layer =
protocol
> checksum calculations and I'd love people to test with as many drivers =
as
> possible, as I plan to merge it for the upcoming 9.1-RELEASE cycle and
> wouldn't want to ship broken IPv6 in a few months;-)
>=20
> Here's the patch that should just apply to stable/9 matching what I =
put into
> HEAD (+ an earlier cxgb change) (untested):
>=20
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bz/20120525-01-ipv6-offload-mfc9.diff
>=20
> If you need a patch for a specific release please drop me a private =
email
> and I'll try to publish one (8.2 and up only though most likely).
>=20
>=20
> Please test and report to me or net@.
>=20
>=20
> Thanks
> /bz
>=20
>=20
> PS: we now also disallow LRO automatically if forwarding is turned on, =
just
> in case you wonder; a change that should have been done years ago;-)

--=20
   It does not matter how good you are. It matters what good you do!