Date:      Tue, 09 Dec 1997 11:28:50 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM system info

> [Mike Smith]
> > [Eivind Eklund]
> >> [Mike Smith]
> >>
> >> If extracted from the kernel source, I'd say it was OK.
> >
> > Extracting from kernel source (at build time) is quite obviously
> > pointless.
>
> ?
>
> I'd say this give you a fairly recent snapshot of the available
> IOCTLs; I certainly update my kernel more often that my manpages (and
> much more often that /usr/share).

Exactly.  Now assume I go build a kernel for someone else.  Or build a
2.2 release on a 3.x machine.  The kernel build doesn't affect anything
outside the build arena; changing this would be a fatal mistake.

> I'd opt for it to be compiled as part of 'make world' instead, but
> there are certainly some good points to doing it at the kernel build
> tilme.

If it was possible to automatically generate a supserset listing at
'world' time, that would be good.

> <GENERAL RANT>
> Any attempt at making things easier for the newcomers at a slight,
> indirect expense to the people 'in the know' seems to be shouted down
> immedately.  Leanness of the kernel and the source tree seems to have
> a small but vocal minority that shout down any documentation that
> might actually be kept up to date.  (Ref my attempt at finding some
> tolerable way to provide inline documentation for kernel file use last
> easter).
> </GENERAL>

I'm glad you made this a "general" rant; I'd have been *extremely*
offended if you put me in that category.

If I thought that there was an easy way to arrange pageable kernel
data, I would be leaping and screaming about putting the above data in
the kernel RBN.  As it is, any alternative scheme that will serve as a
stopgap for now and actually achieve the desired goal without requiring
massive trampling of the kernel and major changes to the interface
appeals.  Hacking some gratuitous macro changes in as a quickie-fix
just doesn't cut it.

mike