Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:59:50 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, Scott Sipe <cscotts@mindspring.com>, Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
Subject:   Re: DP2 Fatal Trap

John Baldwin wrote:

> >> If we can verify that DISABLE_PG_G has no effect then that would be
> >> nice.
> >
> > It has an effect: writing CR3 or a TSS resulting in a changed CR3
> > will not invalidate TLB entries with the G flag set, if PGE is set
> > in CR4.
>
> I know what PG_G does, Terry.  My question is that if DISABLE_PG_G has
> no effect on the _problems_ people are having.

It can have an effect, if the problem is being exhibited on a P3
or an AMD processor, but not on a P4, unless it has 512M of memory;
the jury is out on other memory sizes, after Matt Dillon's dynamic
sizing changes (my own suggestion in this area was to conservatively
not go overboard in allocating a multiplier of physical memory for
page mappings, when doing so would push the space the mappings could
cover well over the available physical address space, if you'll
remember).

I think the processor in the bug report that started this thread
was an AMD K6?

There really is a CPU bug, John, and the new FreeBSD locore.s code
is triggering it.  A stock FreeBSD 4.4, for example, will not
exhibit this problem, on the same hardware.

-- Terry